Skip to content
You are here: Home | Children and young people | For carers and relatives | Report a concern

Report a concern

Everyone has a responsibility for protecting and safeguarding children, not just the ‘professionals’. If you are concerned about a child, you should report your concerns.

If a child is in immediate danger or left alone, you should contact the police or call an ambulance on 999.

If you need to speak to someone

If there is no obvious immediate danger, but you are still concerned about a child’s welfare and want to speak to someone for advice or information on this matter, you should contact us:

  • Email:
  • Tel: 01793 466903 (normal office hours, 8.30am to 4.40pm, Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.00pm on Friday)
  • The Emergency Duty Service (EDS) is available outside office hours on 01793 466900​​
  • Wiltshire Police 101 or 999

Internet safety

For information on protecting children and young people online, please view the Internet Safety webpage.


Have you seen or heard something unsuitable for children? ParentPort is run by the UK’s media regulators and enables you to make a complaint about a programme on TV or online, a film, an advert, a video game or something in a magazine. For further information please visit ParentPort website.

Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

The New Swindon Sanctuary is a dedicated centre to support victims of sexual assault throughout Wiltshire, whether they are men, women or children. Its trained professionals can provide immediate medical care, a forensic examination, counselling and onward referral. The service is available, whether or not you wish to have Police involvement.

Private Fostering

Children who are cared for on a full-time basis by people who are not their parents or a relative may be in Private Foster care. Private Foster care occurs when a child under 16 (or under 18 if disabled) is cared for, and provided with accommodation, by an adult who is not a relative, for 28 days or more, by private arrangement between parent and carer. For further information, please view the Private Fostering page.

Swindon Advocacy Movement

Swindon Advocacy Movement provides a free independent accessible advocacy service to empower people with learning disabilities in Swindon. The downloadable document below explains this in more detail:

The video below is recommended viewing for professionals working with parents with learning difficulties. The video, produced by Swindon Advocacy Movement, provides a useful insight into how parents with learning difficulties experience the child protection process: